Number of Volunteers: 21-100
Community Segment: Health

Current Board Size: 8-12
Board Meetings (frequency): Monthly
Board Meetings Held: At Night
State where Board Meetings Held: Western Australia
Local Government Area:

Any further information about this vacancy:

For a non-profit organisation, it's been said that effective board service starts with the right match - the right match between an individual with the talent and commitment to make a difference and an organisation that is in need of that individual's unique blend of skills and attributes.

The Health Consumers' Council is currently seeking full board members and subsidiary officers to join its Board.

If your're interested, please complete the EOI found at http://www.hconc.org.au/get-involved/expressions-of-interest/ and email to: info@hconc.org.au by 31/10/17.

1. A Full Board Member is a person who has been appointed and/or elected to the Board of HCC, He or she is the equivalent of a Company Director in the for-profit sector and, with other members of the board, has a fiduciary and statutory duty to govern the Association within the law and in the best interests of all stakeholders. Full board members may in exceptional circumstances, be exposed to one or more personal liabilities arising from the conduct of the Association and its business. Board members are elected by the general membership at the Annual General Meeting of the Association. The next AGM is 8 November 2017.
  2.  A Subsidiary Officer is someone who is appointed by the full board to bring special skills and experience to the board meetings to assist the members to govern the Association appropriately. Subsidiary Officers have no statutory duties and are not exposed to the possibility of any personal liabilities other than any which may arise from failure to do his or her common law duty to serve the Association in a professional and reliable manner.

Commitment

• Be a member of the Health Consumers' Council
  • Attend, fully prepare for, and diligently participate in board meetings (the fourth Wednesday of each month for 2 hours), committee meetings as may be required (typically the third Tuesday of each month for 1 hour) and occasional special events (e.g., AGM - 8th November 2017, Patient Experience Week 27/28 April 2018).
  • Act in the best interests of the organisation, and excuse yourself from discussions and votes where you have a conflict of interest.
  • Strive to keep up to date on trends, issues, and current developments that may affect the organisation.
  • Actively voice my opinions and concerns, and open-mindedly consider everyone else’s opinions and concerns, in all board decision making. Trust that we all share a constant passion for this organisation’s mission.
  • Represent the organisation in a positive and supportive manner at all times.

Health Matters asked HCC Board members what prompted them to join the Board:

"I feel strongly that people need to know they can question their doctors and health professionals about their recommended care and make personal and informed decisions.  I joined the Board to support the HCC’s work to educate people regarding their health care rights."  Cheryl Holland

"I joined in the hope I could help with governance of the Board; be involved in supporting health consumers navigate the health system along with individual advocacy as need be; and for identified system change needs." John Burton

"It was obvious even then that HCC has a huge contribution to make to changes in the health system as we move into digital health and all that that means and I felt I could help with my experience as a health consumer and small business owner." Tony Addiscott

Role: General Board Member, Subsidary Officer
Area of Expertise Being Sought: Advocacy, Business, Law & Legal Services, Marketing & Communications, Public Policy, Research & Development
Targeting: People with Disabilities, Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander

Express an Interest in this Position

Brought you by Our Community Alliance Partner Hesta
Training