Illawarra Women's Health Centre
Number of Paid Staff:
11 - 20
Number of Volunteers:
5 or fewer
Mental Health, Health
Current Board Size:
Board Meetings (frequency):
Board Meetings Held:
State where Board Meetings Held:
New South Wales
Local Government Area:
Shellharbour City Council
Any further information about this vacancy:
We are a community-based feminist health care centre for women only. We were established 30 years ago and have been providing a safe place for women to access specialised women’s medical and health care services. We also offer a range of health and wellbeing workshops, therapeutic programs and community-based group activities such as meditation, yoga, art therapy, singing as well as various support groups.
Our services and programs are provided at little or no cost to all women in the Illawarra.
We are nationally accredited. We particularly work with women who are in marginalised and vulnerable circumstances, including Aboriginal women and women with disabilities. We assist many women fleeing violence who need ongoing support to begin a new, safe life.
General competencies required of Board members
- Knowledge of a Board member's responsibilities - understanding the role as well as its legal, ethical, fiduciary and financial responsibilities
- Governance and strategic performance – ensuring effective Board governance and strategic performance processes are in place contributing to a high performing Board
- Finance audit and risk - understanding the company's accounts and financial material presented to the Board, financial reporting requirements and some understanding of corporate finance and risk management
- Strategic expertise - reviewing the strategy through constructive questioning and suggestion, contributing to the effective decision making of the Board
- Managing people and achieving change - experience in current management thinking on engagement, strategic vision and stakeholder communication
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically.
- Willingness to commit time to Board and the Centre.
- Effective decision making abilty.
- Willingness to actively engage in fundraising, using own networks
- Open to and supportive of change
- Enabler of teamwork, collaboration and inclusiveness
- Follows through with commitments
- Respects difference in all its forms
- Is proactive and future focused
Committed to social change and making a meaningful difference in the lives of the women the Centre supports
As an organisation that values diversity, we welcome interest from women with a broad range of personal and professional experience. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women, women from culturally and linguistically diverse communities, LGBTIQ+ and women with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Expressing interest in a position, applicants should provide:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Cover letter of maximum two pages articulating how you would add value to our Board.
Shortlisted candidates will be asked to provide contact details for two referees.
Send your expression of interest to the General Manager Sally Stevenson firstname.lastname@example.org
General Board Member
Area of Expertise Being Sought:
Advocacy, Business, Fundraising
Females, People with Disabilities, Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander
Nil - honorary role