Number of Paid Staff:
1 - 3
Number of Volunteers:
5 or fewer
Public Affairs, Community & Economic Development, Environment
Current Board Size:
3 or fewer
Board Meetings (frequency):
Every two months
Board Meetings Held:
State where Board Meetings Held:
All States and Territories
Local Government Area:
Any further information about this vacancy:
Better Renting is a community of renters working together for stable, affordable, and liveable homes. We do this by strengthening connections between renters, campaigning for legal reform, and reshaping the public conversation around housing. We exist to amplify the voice and build the power of the growing number of renters in Australia.
Since starting in early 2018, we have:
- Successfully campaigned to prevent harmful changes to the ACT's bonds system;
- Got the issue of energy efficiency for rental properties onto the agenda in the Federal Senate;
- Built online communities of renters, connecting with one another for support and solidarity; &
- Conducted and published reports on issues facing renters, generating media attention and political momentum.
Through 2019 we will be continuing our work on issues affecting renters, from minimum energy efficiency standards to other law reform. We'll begin building communities of connected renters in other states, and work on building our grassroots capacity.
Will you join our v1 Board?
We are looking for new board directors to either take on a role (Chair, Treasurer, or Secretary) or act as a General Member. This will be for a two-year term running from January 2019. The Board will work primarily on governance and compliance matters, with the potential to provide strategic input.
Full role statements for each position are available here.
What the role involves
- Attendance at meetings every two months (six per year), by video conference. Meetings will be roughly one hour.
- Approximately 1-2 additional meetings per year with the Executive Director to tap into your particular expertise.
- Attendance, where possible, at Better Renting functions or mission-related events.
Why do it
- Leave your thumbprint in the formative stages of an ambitious start-up.
- Work on a timely issue of increasing importance and relevance.
- Contribute your expertise and capacity to reforms that will make life better for vulnerable households across Australia.
- Extend your expertise in areas outside your day-to-day work.
Skills and Attributes sought
We are looking to have experience in the following areas:
- Fundraising, particular major donor, and philanthropic;
- Previous board experience;
- Financial and accounting;
- Policy and/or advocacy;
- Business strategy & growth; &
We also want our board to be diverse with respect to age, gender, and ethnicity, and to include members with experience of renting.
Selection and Appointment Process
- Express interest by contacting Executive Director Joel Dignam at email@example.com by COB Friday November 9.
- Initial interviews/conversations will be held during November.
- Appointments will be formalised in time for you to begin from a meeting in February 2019.
Chair, Treasurer, Secretary, General Board Member
Area of Expertise Being Sought:
Advocacy, Fundraising, Grants Administration, Law & Legal Services, Public Policy
Reimbursement of expenses