The Institute of Community Directors Australia (ICDA) is Australia’s best-practice governance network for not-for-profit boards, committees, councils, schools, and their staff.
An Our Community enterprise, the Institute delivers information, tools, training, events, qualifications and credentials to not-for-profits of all kinds. Our Community is a pioneering social enterprise that provides advice and tools for Australia's 600,000 not-for-profit groups and schools. The organisation provides easy-to-digest information, practical tools, training and connections for not-for-profit groups across the country, both face to face and through our websites, www.ourcommunity.com.au, www.fundingcentre.com.au and www.givenow.com.au. See more about Our Community's history, vision and work here.
The Institute of Community Directors Australia strives to be:
- Community focussed - our courses and resources are for not-for-profits, no one else.
- Honourable - we respect the people who are working to make our communities stronger. We reflect that respect in the quality and range of the services we provide.
- Actually Useful - no padding, just the stuff that's really needed in the not-for-profit world.
- Networked - we are plugged in to the not-for-profit world; we help our members plug in too.
- Grounded - no jargon, no nonsense, no theory without practical application.
- Ethical - ethics, inspiration and innovation are at our core.
Community Directors Council
The Community Directors Council, formed in February 2018, is ICDA's advisory arm and brings a wealth of talent, experience, skills and direction to the organisation.
The council is chaired by former Australian Charities and Not-for-profit Commission (ACNC) commissioner and Adjunct Professor Susan Pascoe (AM), with the other members all top not-for-profit advocates and thinkers
They've held senior roles in government, business, academia, and at the coalface of community organisations, bringing specialist knowledge of not-for-profit law, finance, governance, theory and change management to the table.
Ms Pascoe was Inaugural ACNC commissioner, and also chairs the Australian Council for International Development (ACFID) and the Principals Australia Institute Certification Advisory Board. She was appointed as Adjunct Professor at the University of Western Australia in November 2018. The rest of the board is shown below.